May 25, 2017

My First Swimwear Lookbook -- Pt. 1



I love the water …. the pool, the ocean, a lake or fishing hole. Doesn’t much matter to me as long as I can get wet. I suppose it’s in my DNA considering I’m a Florida native and all. But I have never really been super crazy about swimsuits … until now! 


It’s probably because my Mom and my Aunts weren’t the biggest fans of swimwear or exposing so much skin. In fact, even as a skinny kid, my Mom never really allowed me to wear 2 piece swimsuits and most times she made me wear a long t-shirt even over the biggest one piece we could find. I guess it had something to do with modesty and respectability, and I bought into hook, line and sinker. I really didn’t mind what I had to wear as long as I was enjoying the water. 

However, I can honestly say that with the re-emergence of the high-waisted bikini and some amazing designs for women with curves, I have fallen completely in love with swimwear. Some members of the #Freehive (that’s what I call the friends, fans and followers of NikkiFreeStyle) have requested that I do a swimwear post. So, for the very time on the blog, I’ve chosen some of my favorite swim looks of the season from some of my favorite brands, boutiques and indie designers and am giving you a bit of swim chic inspiration for Summer 2017. I hope you enjoy these looks as much as I enjoyed shooting them. So here it is my very first Swimwear Lookbook featuring looks I plan to wear this summer as I am chilling out, maxin’ and relaxin’ poolside …

Poolside Diva
I fell completely in love with this off the shoulder one piece swimsuit the moment I spotted it on the Eloquii website. I love EVERYTHING about this very well constructed piece including the gold buttons, nautical feel, off the shoulder detailing and of course the black and white color. This suit has ample stretch, is made of heavy weight tricot fabric and has full lining that helps to create a smooth silhouette. It also comes with removable straps and the bust area features power net lining side boning, underwire and an inner sling bra for extra support. I am a DD bra size and this swimsuit supports and lifts the “girls” perfectly. I felt like a real diva in this look, especially once I paired it with a matching wide brim sun hat and gold platform heels. I have no intention of taking a dip in this look, but I will be strutting through the pool area like it’s my own personal runway! Suit courtesy of ELOQUII.



Blue Lagoon
This three-piece swim look is absolutely fabulous for lounging at the pool or in a cabana on the beach. I love the beach-y colors, the criss-cross detailing on the top and the high-waisted bikini bottom. Add a cute necklace like the one I am wearing and you are sure to be a showstopper on the shore. Now, this suit have very little structure to it and the material is rather thin. I usually size up in swimwear, but I ordered my size (2x) in this one and because it doesn’t offer a ton of support, it was a bit big in the waist and bust area, but nothing too extreme. I will definitely include this in my luggage to wear sometime during my upcoming trip to the Riviera Maya. Suit courtesy of Curvaceous Boutique.


Red, Hot & Blue
Every season, swim wear gets closer and closer to real-life fashion, and this off-the-shoulder ruffled top, high-waisted bikini encapsulates several everyday fashion trends that are everywhere you look. Every girl needs that one swimsuit that is fun, flirty and functional and this one is IT.  It’s comfortable, has ample support in the bust and the heavy stretch fabric holds everything in place and helps to create a smooth look. I paired this suit with my red and blue Gucci Webby mules and a Gucci-inspired headband crotched by my friend and occasional assistant Carroy Bethea. There is a bonus with the suit too: You can pair the top with a pair of jeans or a maxi skirt for an everyday look. 



I hope this post has inspired you to step outside your confident zone when it comes to swimwear. It's take a long time for me to get THIS comfortable with my curves and my body in general, but I definitely feel liberated in doing so. Overcoming my fears and self-doubt have been an amazing journey. After all, I am married to a man that loves every inch of me and life is grand, and let's not forget -- Thick Thighs Save Lives! Ha! 



As always, thanks for stopping by and stay tuned for Part 2 of this swimwear post. Next up are looks from JIBRI, SimplyBe, Eloquii, Neahlis (a wonderful Jamaican designer) and Glamour Glamour! 


Shop These Looks


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig