May 11, 2017

Curves In Color: 5 Tips For Colorizing Your Curves

For some curvy and plus size women, especially those of a certain age, wearing bold bright colors is just too intimidating. They go into complete self-doubt mode and instantly sabotage themselves at the thought of wearing anything other than neutrals. Ladies, allow me to let you in on a little secret: You don’t have to slim down to wear bright colors because the key is not about the hue, it's all about the fit! 

I’ve tossed this (and so many other) outdated fashion rule on its head for as long as I can remember particularly because I just firmly believe colorful clothes look  fantastic on melanin-rich skin. Look around my blog, or my Facebook and Instagram posts and you can easily surmise that I am Rainbow Bright’s black-ish bestie. I simply don’t shy away from color because I have a 40 inch waist and 48 inch hips. Whether it looks good on me and to me is all that matters.
But I get it. Plus size women have been told for years to cover up our bodies, hide the rolls and the cellulite and the gut. Don’t show the arms and most importantly wear clothes that don’t draw attention to your imperfections. It’s rude to defy these “rules.” Actually, it’s ridiculous and quite laughable. 

You know what? I don’t feel I look like Big Bird in this sunshine bright yellow jumper. Nope. Not one bit. But I do feel confident, beautiful, youthful and happy. Pairing yellow with turquoise is one of my favorite color combinations, so it was a no brainer to add this great neckpiece that adds a classic twist to this look. The sandals with the pretty pastel pom poms were also a welcomed addition that compliment the look. 

This super trendy and youthful jumper with its off the shoulder neckline, ruffles and frills, is a fun piece to add to your wardrobe and women in their 40s can totally pull this off! I think I did. Below are a few tips to get your curves colorized! 

5 Tips On Colorizing Your Curves
  1. It’s not about the color. It’s all about the fit. If the garment fits and hugs your curves just right, there is a 99% chance any color will look good on you.
  2. Be sure the color compliments your complexion. I know a LOT of African-American women with very dark or deep complexions that absolutely refuse to red, yellow, orange or pink hues. For you I have two words: Lupita Nyong’o.
  3. Begin incorporating colorful accessories into your looks: a bright pink pair of earrings, an orange clutch bag, red shoes, etc. 
  4. Black and neutral colors don’t necessarily make you look similar. Refer to #1. 
  5. Women with smaller upper bodies and curvy hips/thighs can balance proportions by going light on top with dark bottoms. 
As always, thanks for stopping by and share with me your thoughts on curves in colorful clothing! 



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig