March 13, 2015

Plaid, Peplum, Feathers & Fur

Listen. I love peplums.

Peplum tops, peplum skirts, peplum jackets, peplum hems. Love them all. Not only do they minimize your waistline and accentuate your hips, they create the illusion of even more fabulous curvy-ness. And at the end of the day, peplums are just down right fun and girly.

Peplums have been around for centuries, yet they re-emerged with great ferocity in 2011. Peplums can be traced back to the 1800s where they adorned formal wear of Royals. In the 1930s and 40s they were popularized yet again and began appearing on jackets. In the 1980s, peplums once again made a fashion splash when they began to appear on little party and prom dresses.

I first noticed the resurgence of the trend in 2011 when The Today Show featured a black and white striped peplum dress as part of a segment about plus size fashion. I remember it because I loved the dress so I ordered it from Fashion To Figure. Unfortunately, it wasn't as cute as I had hoped when it arrived in my mail. The quality was very cheap, but my love affair with the peplum was only just beginning.



This JIBRI peplum skirt (similar here) has several elements I love: a high waist, a plaid pattern, midi length, sturdy stretch material and structured. With all that, it was a MUST HAVE!



I paired the skirt with this creme knit top with feather detail capped sleeves from Ashley Stewart and these really cute black suede pointy toe pumps I bought years ago from the Neiman Marcus outlet. I love the ruffled cuff detail in the back. The shoes are by LaFenice Venezia.


I also accessorized with my favorite fur stole by Gucci (similar here).






I think this entire look turned out brilliantly. Can't wait to pair this skirt with other items for all new looks. Hope you like this look took.

Do you like the peplum trend? Have you tried it? If not, why?

Until Next Time ....

Love,

NikkiFree


Fashion photos by Markus Moore for BigTime Images.
SHARE:

1 comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig