July 5, 2017

Curves In Color: How Wearing Colors Brightens My Day

Wear black so that you appear smaller. White just makes you look bigger. Anything fitted makes you look wider. And stripes, and polka dots, and prints are definitely a no-no. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah ..... 



Sound familiar, especially to the curvy and plus size ladies? I’m sure it does because those are the fashion rules that ruled our lives for so long. Even if you aren’t plus or never have been, you’ve heard these rules too. And believe it or not, so many of us still adhere to them. 
Indulge me for a moment and play along by following these very simple steps: 
  1. Go open your closet. 
  2. Take a quick look around.
  3. What percentage of your wardrobe is black, brown, navy and gray?
  4. What percentage of your wardrobe is bright colors, prints and stripes? 
  5. Based on these percentages, are you hiding when you get dressed or are you living out loud?
If your closet is a literal black hole, it's time for a change. I am such a proponent of living my life in bold strokes that about 90% of my wardrobe is bright colors and beautiful prints. Both definitely reflect my personality and zest for life, and according to experts on the subject, wearing black often can have a depressive quality to it.

I haven’t always been plus size, but I’ve always been very body conscious — which really isn’t a “plus” thing as much as it is a woman thing. But as I gained weight, I didn’t want to change the way I’ve always loved to dress ... out loud! However it did become much more difficult, until maybe about 6 or 7 years ago as the availability of more fashion forward and trendy plus brands and boutiques started popping up everywhere. 

Alas, I was able to find clothing that I loved and that allowed me to continue to reflect my personality into the way I dress. If more than half of your wardrobe is dull and boring because it lacks any pretty prints and cool colors, I’d like to suggest you start to make a change in small incremental steps. Buy a brightly colored tee and pair it with your favorite jeans, or a striped razorback tank and wear it with a cute flowy maxi skirt. I promise a pop of color with brighten your mood and bring positives vibes your way all day. 







SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig