March 10, 2017

STYLE: WHITE HOT WINTER


Ladies, that old antiquated fashion rule that says it is unacceptable and downright disrespectful to wear white after Labor Day is DEAD. Often attributed and subscribed to by proper Southern Belles, this antiquated fashion rule was created and subsequently became PROPHETIC in the world of fashion, in fact was started by the bourgeois ladies of the Northeast to create a societal hierarchy between the haves and the have nots. Well, it’s 2017 and we can wear whatever we want, whenever we want in any color we want ALL YEAR LONG! 


Don’t believe me? Maybe you’ll believe the Emily Post Institute, named for the Queen of Etiquette. According to the institute, of course you can wear white after Labor Day, and it makes perfect sense to do so in climates where September’s temperatures are hardly fall-like. It’s more about fabric choice today than color. Even in the dead of winter in northern New England the fashionable wear white wools, cashmeres, jeans, and down-filled parkas. The true interpretation is wear what’s appropriate—for the weather, the season, or the occasion. So with that, I feel white hot in winter in this all white everything (well except for the accessories) ensemble. 

The dress (here), with a mock turtleneck, is $39.99 from Rebdolls. It’s 95% cotton and 5% stretch cotton, and even with the stretch, it wouldn’t fit over my hips when I first purchased it. LOL! I'm a few pounds down (which really shows in this all white ensemble) so I can rock it now! I paired it with this amazing handmade asymmetrical knit cardigan that I found at Flo Atelier, one of my favorite European designers. Flo Atelier specializes in the handmade manufacturing and has a lot of experience selecting of great fabrics and material for their selections. Their collection is funky and edgy and I just love it all! 

Because it’s winter time, I wanted to “anchor” this look in deeper tones so I chose to pair it with deep brown accessories. The braided leather clutch, very reminiscent of a Bottega Veneta bag,  is EVERYTHING! It was gifted to me by a friend who knows how much I love a good oversized clutch and I am forever grateful to her for this perfect present. To know me is to know how much I fawn over a clutch bag. But I digress … I pulled my peep-toe and platform Louis Vuitton shoes off the shelf to complete this look. 

The right statement necklace can take any outfit to the next level, transforming a very simple look into something very special. Necklaces in all shapes, styles and sizes have taken center stage in fashion and this particular one, a fave from my collection of elaborate baubles, is often times the only accessory needed to complete the slayage. 

The knit of the cardigan is hand braided. It is designed in a relaxed, long-line silhouette, and the open front is ideal for layering and offers a stylish way to stay warm in chillier climates. It can definitely be worn instead of a coat on mild days. So there you have it, a perfect example (if I might say so myself) of how to wear white in the winter! Have I at least convinced you etiquette embracers to try it before the winter escapes us? I promise your family won’t disown you GRITS … Girls. Raised. In. The. South. 

As always, thanks for stopping by! 

xo,

NikkiFree








SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig